Welcome to my little bit of cyber-space. It is my prayer that all who enter here may be richly blessed by the God of all grace. All praise to the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

Monday, April 23, 2007

Writing Conferences

I haven't posted for two weeks because last weekend my husband and I drove over 1300 miles roundtrip so I could attend the 2007 Called to Write conference held by the Christian Writers Fellowship in Girard, KS. Deb Vogts, president of CWF, made everyone feel very welcomed, and the ladies of the group provided so much great food that I gained weight in two days! We started off each session with a heart-moving devotion led by Patty Phipps who also later did a hilarious and helpful workshop on being a "creative chef" in our writing.

Deb Raney, a fellow ACFW member, was the main speaker, and she taught several excellent workshops on rewriting, publishing, e-newsletters, getting ideas, and writing as a business. We also heard Mary Walton give us great advice on having "Winning Writer Websites" and LeeAnn Campbell spoke about the advantages of critique groups.

This was a conference I definitely hope to attend again, even if it is half way across the country! Every part was well-planned and executed. I also connected with ACFWers in person that I had only known by email and made several new friends, too. So, I encourage all writers to find and attend some local or not-so-local smaller conferences, in addition to national conferences. I am taking my own advice and leaving on Friday for the Mercer County One Day Writers Conference in Stoneboro, PA. Check back later for a report on what I learn there!

No comments: