Welcome to my little bit of cyber-space. It is my prayer that all who enter here may be richly blessed by the God of all grace. All praise to the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

Friday, December 16, 2011

Spotlight on Jude Urbanski, author of Joy Restored

We interrupt our Christmas Cheer to share an interview I set up several months ago with my friend Jude Urbanski whose first book released this fall. My comments are in bold, and Jude's are in regular type.
1. Tell us about your favorite book as a child and your favorite book as an adult. Can you see a connection between those books?
Rose, the Holy Bible aside, my favorite books as a child were a series about Mary Carlton, MD. Mary was a doctor when female doctors were scarce. She was a strong character and a trailblazer. As an adult, I've had many, many favorites, but one sticks with me and that is Mitchner's Centennial. Again strong women characters forging new boundaries.

2. What is your favorite Scripture? Do you also have a favorite Scripture that encourages you in your writing?
Oh, that's almost like asking 'which child do I love the best.' I feast upon the Word in all its fullness! But I have to say Isa 49:16 "See, I have you engraved in the palms of my hands" is one of my favorites. As far as one that encourages me when I write, it would be again Isaiah-58:11 where He tells me He will guide me always and satisfy my needs in a sun scorched land. I love both of those Scriptures also!

3. If you could go to any place in the world to research/write a book, what setting would you choose?
Wow, Rose, these are incredible questions. I have been a lot of places in the world, but a place with the combination of water and mountains would be my pick. An island with mountains in the background? Sounds like Hawaii to me which is one of my favorite spots!

4. I often wonder if I would write if I had to do it the old-fashioned way without computers and spell-checks and email. Is there anything about technology that you don't like? Or anything about it that you feel enhances your writing?
I have done 'by hand' writing in the past and enjoy that pencil to paper. I've heard David McCollough, the history writer, still writes on a legal pad from a small cabin behind his home. Will confess, I don't know how I would do without a computer now though! I love how easy it is to correct, reorganize. I adore the electronic dictionary and thesaurus.

5. As a writer how have you had to grow and stretch out of your comfort zone?
Oh me! I've had to spend time reading craft books, taking classes, giving up relaxation time and have had to invest time and money to travel this journey. That said, I've also had to hone my observation skills, my imagination, my vocabulary. I've had to really put myself emotionally into my characters. Will say, I never view a movie the same anymore and that I like things I've had to learn about writing and the person I have become through it. I agree with all of these words of wisdom, Jude!

6. What advice would you give to a beginning writer that you wish someone had given you?
It's not a perfect science. There is much subjectivity to the whole industry. It takes discipline and perseverance, but if you feel writing is the way you can use your creativity for God, don't give up. Do it unto Him and it will be used how He wants. Amen!

7. Do you want to add anything about your book such as how to order it?
My book is called a modern historical, which just cracks me up if I have lived that long! It starts with the end of the Vietnam War as a young widow lashes out at God and almost misses the incredible love offered by a Christian widower, who's no stranger to grief himself. I once had a story idea that began with the VietNam war, and was told it wasn't contemporary and too soon to be historical, so maybe it's time to get it out again.

You can always go to http://www.desertbreezepublishing.com/ or my web site http://www.judeurbanski.com/ or any electronic publisher.

Thanks for having me, Rose, and you can pick the lucky winner of an electronic copy of my book from your visitors who leave us a comment and email address. I will do that Jude. Let's give them a week to comment, so the drawing will be next Friday with the winner posted at the top of Saturday's blogpost. And thanks for visiting, Jude. I enjoyed getting to know you better through your  thoughtful answers.

AUTHOR BIO


Jude Urbanski writes women's fiction featuring a strong inspirational romance element. She invites you to stories of heroes and heroines who spin tragedy into triumph with help from God. She has been writing in some fashion nearly all her life. Her mother wrote sweet romances in the 1930's, her daughters write, as do her grandchildren and several other family members.

First published in non-fiction, Jude continues to write in this field also. She has two electronic novels, The Chronicles of Chanute Crossing, published by Desert Breeze Publishing. She is a columnist for Maximum Living, a magazine focusing on spirituality and wellness for women. She has been a blogger for Ellechor Publishing, Hoosier Ink and her own blog.

Jude graduated from Indiana University with a Masters Degree in Nursing. After launching a family, she spent years in her beloved nursing career. She says, ''I thoroughly enjoyed being a nurse." Look for her nurse practitioner experience in her novels.

She is a member of national and area chapters of American Christian Fiction Writers and the National League of American Pen Women and her local fiction group. Jude and her husband Conrad live in Indiana, volunteer in the community, love travel and biking and share a blended family of eight beautiful children and lots more beautiful grandchildren.

No comments: