Welcome to my little bit of cyber-space. It is my prayer that all who enter here may be richly blessed by the God of all grace. All praise to the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Book Review--The Well by Stephanie Landsem


The Well—book review

I read a lot of Biblical era fiction during my high school years at a Christian school. And I still remember a few of the classics like The Robe and The Silver Chalice and Ben Hur. I predict The Well by Stephanie Landsem will become a classic in Biblical fiction. I know it will stay with me a long time. And I can’t wait for her next book.

The story of the Samaritan woman whom Jesus meets at the well in Sychar is told mainly through the POV of the daughter of the woman who made her own choices. Those choices lead to dire circumstances and cruel treatment for the daughter and a small son. Although no children are mentioned in the Biblical account, it is a reasonable assumption that she would have had one or more from her many husbands.

The Samaritan woman’s encounter and belief in Jesus have a strong impact on her life and the lives of the daughter and son and so many others in this story, like the rock that sends multiple ripples throughout a pond.

Another one greatly affected is a young man named Shem who doesn’t want to initially believe in Jesus. This book tells of Jesus’ love for all. There is another love story, but it doesn’t have the ending we think we want. Instead we see a much better ending than we could have ever imagined, just like what Jesus wants for us all. Read it and be blessed.

No comments: