Welcome to my little bit of cyber-space. It is my prayer that all who enter here may be richly blessed by the God of all grace. All praise to the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

Friday, January 14, 2011


For our next "Fridays with Friends" event, I want to welcome Michelle Massaro, another cyber-friend who has written an article I know I needed to read, so I hope all writers will read it and be blessed. And also check out Michelle's site as well as the Clash of the Titles site listed below.

Evangelizing Through Fiction by Michelle Massaro

I'm very passionate about today's topic because for me it's what makes writing worthwhile. But not everybody gets it. It's important for authors to see the value and worth of what they do, in the light of eternity, because it's very likely they will hear comments questioning their ministry through fiction at some point in time. I've also seen a great many stories never reach their full potential, because the authors themselves didn't seem to understand the impact their writing could have for the Kingdom, or hadn't chosen to use their platform in that way. But look at this:

"I've never been more inspired to let the Holy Spirit love through me."

"Thanks for lifting up my spirits today."

"Having lost a daughter of my own, I thank Karen (Kingsbury) heartily for using the pain in her story to minister to me and so many others in my shoes."

"I was often convicted of my own self-centeredness while reading."

"I have tears in my eyes and goose bumps on my skin."

These are just a few of the comments that have appeared on Clash of the Titles this past week as we've featured Conversion Scenes. They show that God can and does use fiction to touch His people. Amazing, isn't it?

As authors, we want readers to appreciate our stories as much as we do. Let's face it, we thrive on accolades. Don't deny it. We long to leave our mark, to write stories that won't be forgotten. But until we fully understand the power of the pen placed in God's hand, we will only be scratching the surface when it comes to leaving a legacy. When we shift our perspective to come into line with Christ's, we become more interested in the mark that HE leaves on the reader than our own.

And what an effective tool our stories can be! What a gentle way to reach out, what a smooth-paved bridge to build. Non-threatening and entertaining, many people will let their guard down enough to read a novel. And as they identify with the characters' sin and pain, they will also journey with them to forgiveness and healing, and perhaps even see themselves being transformed by our loving Savior.

As believers, God owns us- we were bought with a price. The Bible says He has equipped us for every good work. As authors we've been equipped with writing talent. We are to enjoy what we do, but ultimately that gift should be turned back over to Him. When it is, we can be sure He will do amazing things. He will reach people in ways we never could on our own. His stories flowing through our pens can write not simply on paper but on hearts. And that is the greatest legacy we can hope to leave.

*****************

Michelle Massaro, Assistant Editor for Clash of the Titles, is an aspiring novelist as well as a wife and mother of four. She sings on the worship team and teaches origins science to the Jr. Highers at her church in sunny So Cal. Above all, she is a follower of Christ Jesus, unashamed to stand upon the Word of God from beginning to end. You can get to know her better at her blog, Adventures in Writing, and of course at COTT.

Clash of the Titles: http://www.clashofthetitles.com
and Michelle's site: Adventures in Writing (http://www.michellemassaro.blogspot.com/)

5 comments:

Michelle Massaro said...

Rose, thank you so much for having me today. =)

Rose McCauley said...

Thank you, Michelle! Very timely and inspiring words for all writers.

Anonymous said...

Great article!

Anonymous said...

What an inspiration!

Michelle Massaro said...

Thank you Rose and my two anonymous friends. I'm so happy to hear you were inspired today.

=)